Translate

Wednesday 14 May 2014

Remembering WW1

One of my projects for University.
To commemorate the 100th year since WW1. I was to create two posters, one image based and one typography based. To do this I looked at poems of various styles given. These poems were also created by participants in WWI, I chose the poem by Wilfred Owen Dulce et decorum est.

I chose the line (s)

"To children ardent for some desperate glory..."
For the image based poster, I focused on making the boy figure faceless and young casting the shadows of soldiers appearing much older than the figure itself. This represents the many young men that were enrolled in WW1, many were actually under aged boys that had lied on the application forms. The fact that it is faceless is meant to make the viewer wonder who these young people were.



And for the type based poster,

"Gas! Gas! Quick! Boys!..."

The image depicts what you might think, the horrible gas used in WW1 that would cause many casualties and deaths. I did many tests with this, but found this was the best version as it was much easier to read and get the main message.


I hope this work honors those who fought bravely for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment